Marriott Pastry Sous Chef - Morimoto in United Arab Emirates, United Arab Emirates
You were always one of those curious kids who opened every cabinet, peeked behind every door, and never ceased to ask "why" when given an explanation. Today, you bring your personal style to every experience. You live life to discover. You are passionate about your neighborhood, always looking to explore the places one wouldn t find in a travel guide. If this sounds like you, you re in the right place. You ve got authentic style, natural curiosity and a warm way with people. Renaissance is not just a place to spend the night, it's a place to discover, a place in the world with style like yours. That s why we re not just looking for anyone. We re looking for someone like you.
Exhibits creative baking and decorating talents by preparing quality and consistent pastries for all areas. Works to continually improve guest and employee satisfaction. Must ensure sanitation and food standards are achieved.
Assisting in Leading the Pastry Team
- Manages all day-to-day operations. Understands employee positions well enough to perform duties in employees' absence.
- Coordinates activities of cooks and workers engaged in food preparation.
- Utilizes interpersonal and communication skills to lead, influence, and encourage others; advocates sound financial/business decision making; demonstrates honesty/integrity; leads by example.
- Encourages and builds mutual trust, respect, and cooperation among team members.
- Serves as a role model to demonstrate appropriate behaviors.
- Assists in the supervision of pastry preparation shift operations.
- Prepares food items and executes requests based on required specifications.Ensuring Culinary Standards and Responsibilities are Met for Pastry Team
- Develops, designs, or creates new ideas and items for Pastry Kitchen.
- Follows proper handling and right temperature of all food products.
- Maintains food preparation handling and correct storage standards.
- Recognizes superior quality products, presentations and flavor.
- Ensures compliance with all applicable laws and regulations.
- Assists the Executive Chef with menu development associated with Pastry.
- Operates and maintains all department equipment and reports malfunctions.
- Prepares and cooks foods of all types, either on a regular basis or for special guests or functions.
- Checks the quality of raw and cooked food products to ensure that standards are met.
- Assists in determining how food should be presented and creates decorative food displays.Ensuring Exceptional Customer Service
- Monitors and Provides service behaviors that are above and beyond for customer satisfaction.
- Manages day-to-day operations, ensuring the quality, standards and meeting the expectations of the customers on a daily basis.
- Sets a positive example for guest relations.
- Responds to and handles guest problems and complaints.
- Interacts with guests to obtain feedback on product quality and service levels.Maintaining Culinary Goals
- Supports achievement of culinary goals associated with pastry products including performance goals, budget goals, team goals, etc.
- Provides assistance in prioritizing, organizing, and accomplishing daily pastry operations work.
- Supports procedures for food and beverage portion and waste controls.
- Purchases appropriate supplies and manages inventories according to budget.Additional Responsibilities
- Provides information to supervisors and co-workers by telephone, in written form, e-mail, or in person.
- Analyzes information and evaluates results to choose the best solution and solve problems.
- Attends and participates in all pertinent meetings.
Adaptability- Maintains performance level under pressure or when experiencing changes or challenges in the workplace.
Communication-Conveys information and ideas to others in a convincing and engaging manner through a variety of methods.
Problem Solving and Decision Making-Identifies and understands issues, problems, and opportunities; obtains and compares information from different sources to draw conclusions, develop and evaluate alternatives and solutions, solve problems, and choose a course of action.
Professional Demeanor- Exhibits behavioral styles that convey confidence and command respect from others; makes a good first impression and represents the company in alignment with its values.
Building and Contributing to Teams- Actively participates as a member of a team to move the team toward the completion of goals.
Driving for Results- Sets high standards of performance for self and/or others; assumes responsibility for work objectives; initiates, focuses, and monitors the efforts of self and/or others toward the accomplishment goals; proactively takes action and goes beyond what is required.
Planning and Organizing-Gathers information and resources required to set a plan of action for self and/or others; prioritizes and arranges work requirements to accomplish goals and ensure work is completed.
Coworker Relationships- Interacts with others in a way that builds openness, trust, and confidence in the pursuit of organizational goals and lasting relationships.
Customer Relationships- Develops and sustains relationships based on an understanding of customer needs and actions consistent with the company s service standards.
Global Mindset-Supports employees and business partners with diverse styles, abilities, motivations, and/or cultural perspectives; utilizes differences to drive innovation, engagement and enhance business results; and ensures employees are given the opportunity to contribute to their full potential.
Generating Talent and Organizational Capability
Organizational Capability- Evaluates and adapts the structure of own assignments and suggests improvements to work processes to best fit the needs and/or support the goals of an organizational unit.
Talent Management- Provides support and feedback to help individuals develop and strengthen skills and abilities needed to accomplish work objectives.
Learning and Applying Professional Expertise
Applied Learning- Seeks and makes the most of learning opportunities to improve performance of self and/or others.
Business Acumen-Understands and utilizes business information to manage everyday operations.
Technical Acumen- Understands and utilizes professional skills and knowledge in a specific functional area to conduct.
Basic Cookery- Knowledge of procedures and techniques for mixing, thawing, baking, and cooking, measurement tools, recipe execution (expanding and condensing as necessary), and methods for innovative preparation and presentation.
Food Production and Presentation- Knowledge of techniques and equipment for preparing and presenting food products (both plant and animal) for consumption, including storage/handling techniques and sanitation standards.
Cooking- Ability to prepare and present meals utilizing culinary principles, standards, techniques and equipment (e.g., grilling, sauteing, broiling, baking, using decorative food displays, following recipes).
Food Storage and Rotation- Knowledge of procedures and temperatures for storing and rotating food stock in coolers, refrigerators, freezers, dry storage, etc. to maintain freshness ("First In, First Out"). This includes preparing, labeling, dating, rotating, and pulling perishable foods and drinks in accordance with storage guidelines; identifying food products that do not meet company or compliance standards; and knowledge of policies and procedures for discarding food items or products.
Food Handling- Knowledge of basic food handling policies and procedures, as well as the procedures for assisting cooks in serving or preparing food.
Kitchen Maintenance- Knowledge of general maintenance procedures and standards of cleanliness for the food storage and preparation areas.
Kitchen Tools and Equipment- The ability to use and store kitchen tools (e.g., cutting tools, knives, tongs, slicers, spatulas) and ability to use kitchen equipment (e.g., grills, ovens, steam tables, deep fryers, kettles) properly and safely.
Supply Storage- Knowledge of proper storage procedures for cookware, flatware, and supplies.
Purchasing and Materials Management- Knowledge of practices and procedures needed to maintain material, equipment and supplies; including vendor identification and contract negotiation, supply requisition and purchasing, and inventory control.
Basic Competencies- Fundamental competencies required for accomplishing basic work activities.
Basic Computer Skills- Uses basic computer hardware and software (e.g., personal computers, word processing software, Internet browsers, etc.).
Mathematical Reasoning- Demonstrates ability to add, subtract, multiply, or divide quickly, correctly, and in a way that allows one to solve work-related issues.
Oral Comprehension- Demonstrates ability to listen to and understand information and ideas presented through spoken words and sentences.
Reading Comprehension- Demonstrates understanding of written sentences and paragraphs in work-related documents.
Writing- Communicates effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
Education and Experience
- High school diploma or GED; 3 years experience in the culinary, food and beverage, or related professional area.
- 2-year degree from an accredited university in Culinary Arts, Hotel and Restaurant Management, or related major; 1 year experience in the culinary, food and beverage, or related professional area.
Marriott International is an equal opportunity employer committed to hiring a diverse workforce and sustaining an inclusive culture. Marriott International does not discriminate on the basis of disability, veteran status or any other basis protected under federal, state or local laws.
Job: Food and Beverage & Culinary
Organization: Renaissance Hotels
Location: ARE-United Arab Emirates
Requisition ID: 17000ZME